Explanation is the text which functions to tell how or why things occur.
- Overview (A general statement);
- Explanation process (A sequenced explanation of why or how something occurs);
- Focus on generic, non-human participation
- The use of general and abstract nouns, such as the temperature.
- The use of action verbs.
- The use of simple present tense.
- The use of passive voice.
- The use of noun phrase, such as the large cloud;.
- The use of complex sentence.
- The use of technical language.
- Conjunctions of time and cause.
This is the example of Explanation Text:
What are the steps of photosynthesis process? Let me tell you the process of photosynthesis, in a series of complicated steps, the hydrogen combines with carbon dioxide from the air, forming a simple sugar. Oxygen from the water molecules is given off in the process. From sugar together with nitrogen, sulphur, and phosporus from the soil-green plants can make starch, fat, protein, vitamins, and other complex compounds essential for life. Photosynthesis provides the chemical energy that is needed to produced these compounds.
Taken from The World Book Encyclopedia, 1996
For discussion explanation text
Have you ever heard about explanation text before? Which part in this writing that make you feel interesting to read and follow the lesson about explanation text?
Let share your opinion !